Summary: MetaMask is the worlds most popular Ethereum-based cryptocurrency wallet. It can be used as both a browser extension and a mobile application.
Learn about MetaMask's features, security, support, assets and more in our comprehensive review.
Table of Contents
What is MetaMask?
MetaMask is a digital asset wallet that allows you to store, send, and receive Ethereum-based cryptocurrencies and NFTs. It is the most popular crypto wallet in the world and has been downloaded over 20 million times. MetaMask allows you to easily buy, sell, and trade cryptocurrencies without having to go through a third-party exchange. You can complete the transactions directly on MetaMask.
It also allows you to use decentralized applications (dApps) without having to download them or install them on your computer. The wallet supports a number of different cryptocurrencies and blockchain networks.
Features & Networks
MetaMask is available to use on any EVM-compatible blockchain network. On MetaMask users have access to the following applications.
- A cryptocurrency and NFT storage wallet.
- A Swap feature that allows you to complete crypto-to-crypto transactions.
- A DEX (decentralized exchange) that allows you to buy cryptocurrencies directly on the application through a third-party payment method like Moon Pay and Transac.
- Mobile app so you can make transactions and check your wallet on the go.
- Live support feature available on both mobile application and web extension.
In addition to the above-mentioned features, MetaMask is a perfect platform for beginners as it has an easy to native UI and straightforward functions. It is a great custodial hot wallet for both beginners and experienced traders.
Is MetaMask a secure crypto wallet?
MetaMask is a secure cryptocurrency wallet that offers a number of features to keep users' digital assets safe. The wallet uses industry-standard security measures, such as two-factor authentication and multi-signature support. In addition, MetaMask stores user data offline in an encrypted format to further protect users' privacy.
Unfortunately, there have been many phishing attacks on MetaMask users' wallets. This is not due to MetaMask's lack of security but more-so user awareness. MetaMask has implemented new security measures that require users to complete an additional confirmation step when approving transactions.
MetaMask does not charge any fees for sending or receiving cryptocurrencies, users just need to cover the cost of gas (network transaction fee) in order to complete the transaction. Gas fees are used to cover the cost of running the Ethereum network and are paid to miners who validate transactions.
However, there are fees to use the Swap or Exchange feature on MetaMask. A fee of 0.875% is automatically applied to each final quote.
How to add networks to MetaMask
MetaMask supports a number of different cryptocurrency networks, it can support any Ethereum-based network. Follow the below steps to add a new network to MetaMask.
- Open the MetaMask extension and click on the "Networks" tab.
- Select 'Add Network' and you will be redirected to an online form.
- Fill in the RPC details of the blockchain network you want to add.
To find the RPC details of your preferred network, you can visit one of our following guides:
- How to add Avalanche to your MetaMask Wallet
- How to add Binance Smart Chain to your MetaMask Wallet
- How to add Cardano to your MetaMask Wallet
- How to add Cronos to your MetaMask Wallet
- How to add Optimism to your MetaMask Wallet
- How to add Fantom to your MetaMask Wallet
- How to add Harmony One to your MetaMask Wallet
- How to add Polkadot to your MetaMask Wallet
- How to add Polygon to your MetaMask Wallet
- How to add Metis to your MetaMask Wallet
Metamask Mobile app and Browser extension
MetaMask offers both a mobile app and a browser extension version of its platform. The mobile app is available for Android and iOS devices, while the browser extension can be installed on Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Brave and Microsoft Edge.
The MetaMask application is rated a high 4.6 stars from 108K reviews on the Google Play store and another 4.6 stars out of 26K reviews on the Apple app store. On the Apple store it is rated #94 overall in the Utilities category.
Does MetaMask offer live support?
Yes, MetaMask offers live support on both its mobile application and browser extension. Users can also refer to the MetaMask Zendesk site for an extensive FAQs section and support options. Users can also join MetaMasks online communities like Twitter, Reddit and Medium.
MetaMask is a secure and easy-to-use cryptocurrency wallet that supports a wide range of digital assets and networks. The wallet also allows users to access decentralized applications on the Ethereum network. MetaMask is free to use and offers live support to help users with any issues they may have. It's a great crypto wallet for crypto newbies and experienced investors.