Summary: The best way to buy Bitcoin and cryptocurrencies in Italy is through a licensed and regulated trading platform in Europe. With this method, customers can deposit Euros (EUR) from any Italian Bank or payment method to securely invest in digital assets. We recommend only using exchanges that have audited proof-of-reserves, which highlights that your deposits are always held 1:1.
If you are looking to get started quickly, we recommend the Uphold platform because they offer fast EUR deposits from Italian Banks, are regulated and have a daily transparency report for audits. Their exchange has over 200 cryptocurrencies to buy with low fees and tight spreads.
Best Exchange for Italian Investors - Uphold 🏆
- Fast Euro (EUR) deposits from any Italian Bank with low fees.
- Licesned & Regulated in Europe with Audited Reserves.
- Trade over 200 cryptocurrencies with an exchange trusted by over 10 million customers in Italy and Europe.
Can I legally buy crypto in Italy?
Yes, it is completely legal and safe to purchase cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin and Ethereum in Italy. However, the Italian government states that cryptocurrencies are not currently considered as legal tender in Italy. This means that Italian businesses are not legally obligated to accept it as payment for goods and services.
In saying that, the number of cryptocurrency investors in Italy has sky-rocketed over the past two years increasing by 15% of the entire countries population. The nation has widely adopted blockchain technology and many Italian financial institutions are now implementing features that are integrated with Web3.
Best Exchanges to Buy Crypto in Italy
If you refer to the list below, you will find a quick overview of the 4 best cryptocurrency investing platforms in Italy. In these short reviews, we highlight each platforms best features. As well as provide a link to a comprehensive review of each crypto exchange, to help you decide which platform will best suit your needs.
- Uphold - Best Overall Multi-Asset Trading Platform
- Bybit - Best Futures Trading and No-KYC Exchange
- Binance - Best Selection of Cryptocurrencies
- Kraken - Good Options for Institutional Investors
Below you will find a breakdown of each platforms best features plus a link to a detailed review of each exchange covering fees, support, features, assets & security.
- 200+ Cryptocurrencies and 500+ Stocks, ETFs & More.
- Fast and Free EUR Deposits for Italian users.
- Trade 700+ tokens with 100x Leverage.
- Lowest Trading Fees globally, starting from 0.1%.
- Identity Verification not required to use platform.
- Trade 600+ cryptos including meme & alt coins.
- Largest Cryptocurrency exchange globally.
- Myriad of features including Staking & NFTs.
How to Safely Buy Cryptocurrencies in Italy
The best and most secure way to buy cryptocurrencies like Ethereum in Italy is through the Uphold exchange. On Uphold, Italian users can deposit Euros via Bank Transfer, Credit/Debit card, Skrill, PayPal & Neteller. Follow the below steps to get started.
- Create an account on Uphold and complete your verification.
- Tap 'Deposit Funds', choose a method and transfer Euros to your Uphold account.
- Search for the crypto you want to buy (we use Bitcoin as an example).
- Input the amount you wish to purchase and select 'Open Trade'.
Are there risks involved in buying Crypto in Italy?
Yes, there are risks involved when investing in any asset online. That is because the price of a token, stock, option or asset can be volatile and is reliant on the market to dictate its price. However, if its security you're worried about such as asset security, Uphold is the safest platform in the world to store your assets on.
Uphold Europe has been operating for over 10 years and has never once been subjected to a hacking incident or cyber attack. The exchange stores all of its users funds offline in cold storage and all assets are insured by tier 1 banks. Additionally, Uphold Europe reports to and is regulated by the CySEC under license number 109/10.
What is the best Crypto app in Italy
Every cryptocurrency exchange listed in this article offers a mobile application version of its platform. The best cryptocurrency investing mobile app is definitely the Bybit application. Bybit is rated 4.4 stars from 75K reviews on the Google Play store. On the Bybit app users can buy, sell, trade and stake crypto plus buy NFTs, Options and more.
Where can I stake cryptocurrencies?
The best exchange in Italy and globally to stake cryptocurrencies is the Bybit exchange. The platform offers both single and double sided staking with yields (returns) going up to 200%. On Bybit you can choose from 6 different staking options on over 40 cryptocurrencies including Ethereum, Avalanche, Cardano and more.
How to Buy Bitcoin with low fees in Italy
This guide outlines the easiest way for Italian investors to buy Bitcoin with low fees. Bybit offers the lowest trading fees in the world starting at a low 0.1%, which can get as low as 0.02% the higher your monthly trading volume is.
Follow the steps below:
- Sign up to Bybit with your e-mail address and choose a password.
- Go to the 'Buy Crypto' tab and click 'Express'.
- Select 'EUR' and 'BTC' as your two assets and pick a deposit method.
- Enter the amount of Euros you want to invest and tap 'Buy'.
Do I need to pay taxes on my cryptocurrencies in Italy?
This depends on how much in profits you made in the financial year. If you made under €51,000, you are exempt from paying taxes on your crypto profits. However, if you make over the amount, your profits will be considered earnings and you will need to pay a flat rate of 26% tax. The rules that apply to fiat currencies are the same as crypto.
Additionally, VAT is applicable to cryptocurrencies and an inheritance tax of 4% - 8% of the digital assets value applies for transfers of property during inheritance or by gift.
Buying cryptocurrencies in Italy is easy and accessible with the help of exchanges such as Uphold and Bybit. Investors can purchase Bitcoin, Ethereum and possibly other digital assets using Euros and hold them safely in their exchange wallet or transfer to a private wallet for enhanced security.
Always remember to research projects before making any investments and speak to a financial advisor to ensure you are making the right decisions. And finally, know your local tax laws and regulations when it comes to cryptocurrencies.