Summary: The easiest way to invest in Cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin or Ethereum in Denmark is through a regulated European digital currency broker. With this method, users will be able to deposit Danish Krone or Euros (EUR) from their bank account to invest in crypto.
If you are looking to get started quickly, we recommend Uphold EU as the largest and most trusted exchange to buy over 200 cryptocurrencies, and hundreds of Stocks, ETFs, Commodities, and more. Their platform offers fast and cheap DKK or EUR deposits from all bank accounts.
Best Crypto Exchange in Denmark
- Trade 210+ Cryptos with fast Danish Krone (DKK) or Euro (EUR) deposits from any Danish Bank.
- Regulated in Denmark & Europe and has audited Proof-of-Reserves for customer funds.
- Offers multiple asset classes including Crypto (and Crypto Staking), Stocks, ETFs, Metals, Currencies and more.
How to Buy Bitcoin and Crypto in Denmark
The best way to buy crypto in Denmark is with a licensed cryptocurrency broker in the EU. With this method, you will be able to deposit EUR from a bank account, debit card, or credit card to trade and custody digital assets. We recommend Uphold because they offer the fastest and cheapest EUR deposits for Europeans to trade thousands of different assets.
You can get started buying Crypto or Bitcoin with this simple guide:
- Sign Up: Create an account on Uphold and complete your verification (personal or company).
- Connect Account: Select the currency you want deposit on the Uphold Platform (DKK, EUR + 30 more).
- Deposit Funds: Connect your Bank account in Denmark to quickly deposit your selected fiat currency.
- Buy Crypto: The final step is to find the cryptocurrency you want to buy and execute your trade.
Fees to buy Digital Assets in Denmark
If you are interested in buying Cryptocurrencies in Denmark, you may want to know the fees and costs involved. Fortunately, when using a platform like Uphold you pay very few fees throughout your onboarding journey. For example, there are no deposit fees on the platform to deposit via SEPA or Bank Transfer in Europe.
The only fee users will need to consider is the trading fee, which is low and variable depending on the spread (average of 0.5%). This is low compared to industry competitors like Coinbase which charge a flat rate of 1.99% for trades, and 2.99% for EUR deposits due to the conversion fees required to swap to USD on the platform.
Is Buying Crypto Legal in Denmark?
Yes, buying, selling, and trading cryptocurrencies is legal in Denmark. The country has a relatively open approach to digital currencies, with the Danish Financial Supervisory Authority (Finanstilsynet) overseeing cryptocurrency-related activities to ensure compliance with anti-money laundering (AML) and counter-terrorism financing (CTF) regulations. However, it is important to note that cryptocurrencies are not considered legal tender in Denmark, and their use as a means of payment is limited. Additionally, tax implications and regulatory updates may affect the crypto landscape in the future, so staying informed on the latest rules and regulations is advised.
What are the Best Alternative & Regulated Platforms?
If you are investor looking to do deeper due diligence on the exchange you want to onboard with, we have listed the 5 best alternative below. Each platform has similar regulatory compliance, however few of them show real-time audited proof of reserves like Uphold. Here are our top 5 alternatives for Denmark:
- Coinbase - Coinbase is one of the largest global exchanges, with a large selection of coins and tokens.
- Bitpanda - Bitpanda is an Austrian exchange that offers a wide variety of cryptos for both trading and investing.
- Kraken - Kraken is another well-known crypto exchange, offering low fees and multiple cryptocurrencies.
- Binance - Binance is a popular trading platform, which offers a variety of coins and tokens.
- Bybit - Bybit is a Singapore based cryptocurrency exchange offering leverage up to 100 X on crypto trading.
Is Crypto popular in Denmark?
Yes, cryptocurrency is gaining popularity in Denmark. Cryptocurrency trading volume in Denmark has tripled since early 2017, according to data from Bitcoinity.org. The Danish Central Bank released a report in August 2017 that concluded that "it is not currently possible to accurately assess the size and development of the use of virtual currencies in Denmark." However, the report noted that "a large part" of the trading volume of virtual currencies in Denmark is likely due to speculative investments.
In conclusion, Denmark provides a conducive environment for investing in cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin and Ethereum. Regulated European digital currency brokers, such as Uphold EU, allow users to easily deposit Danish Krone or Euros and trade various digital assets. Ensure you are aware of the fees associated with buying cryptocurrencies, but rest assured that the process is legal in Denmark under the oversight of the Danish Financial Supervisory Authority. As the crypto landscape evolves, stay informed on the latest rules and regulations, and explore alternative regulated platforms like Coinbase, Bitpanda, Kraken, Binance, and Bybit to find the best fit for your investment needs.
Co-Founder & former Investment Banker (Finance MBA) turned Full-Time analyst and Head of Research at Buy Bitcoin Bank. Left traditional finance to pursue my interest in digital assets and decentralized finance.