Summary: Buying cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin and Ethereum with Euros (EUR) is a simple process when you use a secure, regulated and licensed cryptocurrency exchange. There are a variety of platforms that support EUR deposits including Uphold, Binance, Bybit and more.
If you are looking to get started quickly, we recommend a platform like Uphold because they offer fast and cheap Euro (EUR) deposits via SEPA, Bank Transfer, Credit/Debit Card, Apple Pay & Google Pay. Additionally, Uphold is one of the only exchanges in Europe with audited proof-of-reserves that shows customer funds are always backed 1:1.
- Trade & Stake 250+ Cryptos with Fast & Cheap Euro (EUR) deposits from all European Banks.
- Licensed and Regulated in Europe with an Audited Proof-of-Reserves of customer funds.
- Trusted by over 10 million retail and institutional investors.
How to buy Crypto with Euros (EUR)
The most secure and affordable way to buy cryptocurrencies with Euros is through Uphold. They offer the fastest and cheapest rates to deposit Euro (EUR) on their multi-asset brokerage platform to trade crypto, stocks, commodities, fiat currencies and more. You can get started in 4 simple steps:
- Create a free account on Uphold with your email and complete the verification requirements.
- Connect your bank account or card to Uphold by selecting the 'EUR' button on your dashboard.
- You can then select the 'connect bank' button to link your account to Uphold.
- Select the cryptocurrency you want to buy and execute your trade.
European Central Bank (ECB) Crypto Policy
The European Central Bank (ECB) has not yet published an official policy on cryptocurrencies. However, the ECB has issued various statements over the past few years that suggest it is taking a cautious approach to digital assets. In February of 2022, ECB president Christine Lagarde said that the bank was "closely monitoring" developments in the cryptocurrency space.
That said, the ECB does not have any outright bans on cryptocurrencies and crypto exchanges in Europe. The only provision is that investors must use a European Securities and Markets Authority (ESMA) licensed exchange to buy and sell digital assets.
Best Exchanges to buy Crypto with Euro
The list below is an overview of the 4 best cryptocurrency exchanges in Europe that are regulated by the European Securities and Markets Authority (ESMA). We have also noted which platform is best for different Euro (EUR) deposit methods and use cases:
- Uphold - Best Overall (Bank Transfer, SEPA, Debit Card/Credit Card + more).
- Paxful - Best for European Gift Cards.
- Nexo - Best for Euro (EUR) Stablecoins.
- Bybit - Best for Non-KYC (No Identity Verification Required)
Euro (EUR) Stablecoins
One popular type of cryptocurrency in Europe is the EURO Stablecoin. These coins are digital assets that are pegged to the value of the Euro currency. The most popular EURO Stablecoins are EUROC, EURS, sEUR and NEXOEUR. These coins can be used to store value, make payments and transfer money without having to convert to fiat currency first.
EURO Stablecoins are popular in Europe because they offer the stability of the Euro without having to deal with traditional banks or financial institutions. They also allow users to avoid exchange rate fees when sending money abroad. You can learn about how to buy EURO stablecoins in our guide.
Whether you’re looking to buy Bitcoin, Ethereum or other cryptocurrencies with Euros, there are a variety of secure and licensed exchanges that support EUR deposits. Uphold is our recommended platform for beginners because they offer fast and cheap Euro deposits via SEPA, Bank Transfer, Credit/Debit Card, Apple Pay & Google Pay. Additionally, Uphold is audited for proof-of-reserves and customers always have their funds backed 1:1.