Summary: Questrade does not directly offer cryptocurrency buying and selling to their customers in Canada. Questrade users can only buy Crypto-related Stocks & ETFs, which are an inefficient way to get exposure.
If you want to buy real digital assets and store them in a wallet, we recommend Bitbuy who are a FINTRAC licensed crypto exchange that are the largest in Canada.
Table of Contents
Can I buy Crypto on Questrade?
Unfortunately users of the Questrade app in Canada cannot buy or sell cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin, Ethereum, Solana or any others. Their platform does not offer crypto trading services like you would find on traditional trading exchanges like Coinbase or Binance.
The only way Questrade users can get exposure to cryptocurrencies is through the various Crypto ETFs that Questrade offers on their platform. The best Questrade Crypto ETFs include:
- Purpose Bitcoin ETF (BTCC): A Bitcoin ETF that tracks the price of BTC with $750m in Assets Under Management.
- CI Galaxy Ethereum ETF (ETHX): An Ethereum (ETH) ETF that invests and custodies over $200m in assets with low management fees.
- Evolve Ether (ETHR): An alternative ETH ETF that buys futures contracts and provide synthetic exposure to the market.
- Grayscale Bitcoin Trust (GBTC): The world's largest Bitcoin ETF with over $1b in Assets Under Management.
How to buy Crypto with a Questrade Alternative
The best way to buy Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies in Canada without Questrade is through a trusted and regulated exchange under FINTRAC. One of the most popular exchanges in Canada that is regulated in secure is Bitbuy, because they offer a wide variety of assets like Bitcoin, Dogecoin, Shiba Inu, Cardano and others for very low fees.
Follow the guide below to start investing on Bitbuy.
- Sign up to Bitbuy Canada and verify your personal details.
- Deposit Canadian Dollars from any bank account (see fees below).
- Select the cryptocurrency you want to buy (over 60 options).
- Input the CAD amount and execute your trade.
Canadian Regulatory stance on Crypto
Canada is one of the more pro-cryptocurrency countries out of the top western countries and economies. The local regulatory authority FINTRAC has provided clear guidelines for digital asset exchanges to operate in the country, which provides safe and secure ways for Canadians to invest in cryptos.
FINTRAC did recently ban Binance from operating in Ontario, however other exchanges like Bitbuy have been given the green light throughout the country.
Questrade is a Canadian financial services company that offers online trading and investing platform for stocks, options, mutual funds, ETFs, and more. It was founded in 1999 by Edward Kholodenko and is headquartered in Toronto, Ontario.
Questrade offers numerous features and services that make it a popular choice among investors and traders. These include:
- A user-friendly online trading and investing platform
- Competitive prices and fees for Canadians
- A wide range of investment products and services
- Excellent customer service
Overall, Questrade is a well-established and reputable financial services company that offers a great online platform for investors and traders. If you're looking for a reliable and user-friendly option for trading or investing, Questrade is definitely worth considering. However, if you are looking for a broker that offers digital assets, we recommend Bitbuy in Canada.