Sweden has been a leading force in the global crypto and blockchain scene since 2014, when the first Swedish bitcoin exchange, Safello, was founded. In 2017, Sweden's central bank, Riksbank, announced that it was considering launching its own cryptocurrency, the e-krona.
Since then, a number of Swedish cryptocurrency exchanges have been launched, and the country has become a hotbed for digital asset startups. In this guide, we'll walk you through how to buy crypto in Sweden and the 4 best trading platforms to get started.
- Trade 400+ Cryptocurrencies with up to 100x leverage
- NFT Marketplace, Futures Trading & other features.
- Fast and cheap EUR deposits from Swedish banks.
Table of Contents
Is Crypto Legal in Sweden?
Yes, cryptocurrency is legal in Sweden. The Swedish Financial Supervisory Authority (FSA) has issued a number of warnings about the risks associated with investing in cryptocurrency, but has not taken any action to ban or regulate the industry.
This hands-off approach has helped make Sweden a friendly environment for digital asset startups. In 2018, the FSA released new guidelines clarifying how cryptocurrency businesses should be regulated in Sweden and how investors will be taxed on transactions.
Best Platforms to Buy Crypto in Sweden
The tables below provide an overview of the 4 best crypto exchanges in Sweden. In these short reviews, we highlight the key advantages and disadvantages of each platform to help you decide which exchange best suits your needs.
- Bybit - Best Overall Platform
- Binance - Best for Altcoin Trading
- FTX Exchange - Best for Institutional Investors
- Uphold - Alternative Multi-Asset Broker
You can continue reading below for a head-to-head comparison of each platform based on fees, available assets and available leverage.
Bybit is one of the largest crypto spot and derivatives trading platforms in the world. They trade over $8 billion in daily volume across both markets and give Swedish investors access to over 150 crypto derivatives contracts and 400 spot markets to buy, sell and trade with low fees starting at 0.1% per trade.
The platform is also popular in Sweden because it requires no KYC or verification to sign up. You can get started in minutes with just an email address and password. They also have a variety of other features including Crypto Staking, an IDO Launchpad, NFT Marketplace, and much more.
For more information, you can read our Bybit Review.
- 400+ Cryptos with 100x Leverage
- No KYC or verification required in Sweden
- 0.1% Maker Fees and 0% Taker
- Crypto staking for 50+ coins
- Does not offer stocks or other assets
Binance is the largest digital asset trading platform in the world with over $76 billion in assets traded over 24 hours. Their exchange provides a wide range of features for investors in Sweden, including 600 cryptos, an NFT Marketplace, derivatives contracts, options and more for low fees starting at 0.1%.
The platform offers a wide range of deposit methods for investors in Sweden, which includes Bank Transfers, Credit Card, Debit Card, Google Pay, Apple Pay and more. They also offer up to 25x leverage on their futures trading platform for verified accounts.
For more information, you can read our Binance Review.
- 600+ Cryptos with 25x Leverage
- Binance Smart Chain DeFi ecosystem
- 0.1% Spot and Futures Fees
- Fast sign-up in Sweden
- Does not offer stocks or other assets
- Customer support is slow
- EUR Deposits can be expensive
FTX is a cryptocurrency trading platform that was launched by Sam Bankman-Fried in 2017 and has since grown to be one of the most popular exchanges in the space. The FTX exchange is one of the best options to trade cryptocurrency futures in Sweden with over 150 markets, deep liquidity and 0.1% fees for maker orders.
FTX offers a wide range of deposit methods for Swedish traders, which includes Bank Transfers, Bank Wire, Debit Card or Credit Card. Their platform offers a maximum of 20x leverage for accounts that have fully verified and show evidence of high-net worth or institutional status.
For more information, you can read our FTX Review.
- 150+ cryptos and 25x leverage on futures
- Secure platform based in the USA
- 0.1% Maker Fees and 0% Taker Fees
- 10% APY Staking for Solana (SOL)
- Limited cryptocurrencies available
- Limited staking options
- Complicated user interface for beginners
Uphold is a multi-asset trading platform that offers over 200 cryptocurrencies including majors, altcoins, alternative layer 1's, emerging tokens and stablecoins. Their exchange also offers traditional assets for Swedish investors like major Stocks, ETFs, Commodities and other assets for zero fees.
The Uphold platform offers direct Euro (EUR) deposits from Swedish banks via bank transfer. The time to deposit EUR is typically 1-2 business days, making them slightly slower than alternatives that enable instant deposits.They also allow you to deposit funds with alternative payment methods like Debit Cards, Credit Cards, Google Pay, Apple Pay and more.
For more information, you can read our Uphold Review.
- 200+ cryptos and Stocks/ETFs
- Zero trading fees in Sweden
- Fast verification for Swedish citizens
- Limited crypto and stocks available
- Wide spreads starting at 1%
- Limited crypto staking options